Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Circling

So the city I live in has just completed another signficant portion of a ring road around the city. (It's making hockey driving so much easier, but that's not the point of this post.)

And I've recently realized that the best place in the world to rant and sob and pray is in my van, all alone, not bothering anyone else, not adding any weight to anyone's worry, especially people who live in my house ...

This morning I headed out to drive as far as I could along the ring road, taking some music and some attitude with me.  The road is lovely - wide and smooth and a thing of beauty.  A pleasure to drive, and if you drive from east to west, there's some lovely freshly-snowed-on mountain ranges off in the distance ...

And then there's construction.  Bare brown earth glaring up from unfinished overpasses, stop-and-go traffic, lower speed limits, lower tolerance levels ...

But the good road?  It didn't happen overnight.  It was exactly like this at some point - frustrating and difficult to navigate.

Was it worth it?

4 comments:

Marcia Laycock said...

Some day, my friend, I believe we will all look back on these hard days and see that the road was worth traveling, even with all its winding and heaving, because when we get to the end He'll be waiting. Big hugs. M

Heather Plett said...

A few years ago, when Marcel was in the psych ward, I did a lot of crying on the road between the hospital and the school or soccer field or wherever I had to pick up my kids. It was the only way I could hold it together for all of the people I had to be strong for at the time.

You are loved.

Carolyn said...

The road is always worth travelling if it leads to Him, who is worthy...because He knows about all our efforts, failings, successes, miseries, joys, screams, praises, pains, peace, nonsense, strengths, weaknesses, hopes, fears...and on n'on. Keep truckin'...you'll make it because HE will drive to Himself IF you let Him. Loving you sister!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I am sooooo familiar with car crying too. When I got rid of my Ford Contour I sometimes toyed with writing an ode to a blue car and the tears we had seen.

I hope it's worth it. I certainly hope so. Sunday's a-coming. The tulips are there under the snow.

ccap