Saturday, July 20, 2013

Falling back on a childhood coping mechanism

I have been reading. Voraciously.  Gluttonously.  I inhale a book and put it down and pick up the next one, and meanwhile laundry waits to be folded and suppers do not get cooked because I am not out here, in the real world, the unimagined world where my husband has cancer and we didn't see it coming.

However.

I have read some astonishingly good books.  I love Marisa de los Santos' writing, and somehow I managed to friend her on Facebook, or like her author page, or something, and if she recommends a book - I will read it.  I will read it because she appreciates good writing and I am never sorry to read something she's recommended.

So here are some recommendations for you, via Marisa.

1. The Wednesday Sisters, by Meg Waite Clayton.  I read this one because M had recommended The Wednesday Daughters, which is a sequel to this one, so I got them both, and read them both, and loved them both.

2. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, by Rachel Joyce.  I don't even know what to tell you.  Go read it.  And if you don't cry at the end, you're different from me.  I liked it so much I want to go read it again right now, but I think someone should fold laundry.

And a recommendation that didn't come from Marisa -

3. Gary Schmidt's "The Wednesday Wars."  It's a YA book - the protagonist is a 12 year old boy - but I have a boy who was that age not so long ago, and this book felt like a visit to that boy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spot a theme

Kathryn Mackel said...

It's a beautiful habit for bad moments. Thanks for sharing.