Friday, September 14, 2012

Moment of light

"The pain and the longing, the joy and the moments of light
Are the rhythm and rhyme, the free verse of the poem of life"
(Michael Card)


I'm at Mom's.  We've just had a really hard conversation, one that we have been both trying to have and trying not to have all summer, but we've gotten through it now, and we're not sure what to do next, both of us with tears in our eyes ...and we become aware there is someone else in the room.

Ernie pushes his walker up beside me, fumbles in the basket.  "Give this to Jacquie, okay?" and he hands me a Dixie Cup of ice cream.  I look at him.

"God bless you," I tell him, this lovely man who has been bringing my bedridden mother wee gifts for weeks now - fudgsicles and yogurts and fresh flowers and plums, cradled in the knarled bowl of his hands.
"You are such a blessing to Mom, and to our family."

He shrugs, blushes.  "I just took her on as my friend," he says "And I like to make sure she gets treats every day."

We are smiling when he leaves.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I don't care what anyone else thinks -- ALL THAT -- that whole thing, is one of those "God Moments"...to be shared, becoming a blessing to all. Thank you.
And, I trust your 'next step' will be taken with His guidance and blessing.
Hi to your mom for me, ok?