Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Worth the wait

Eight years.  Four major rewrites.  That's part of Rachel Hartman's journey to publication of her book, Seraphina, available in bookstores yesterday.
There's been a lot of hype, many reviews, four (four!) starred reviews - and since she and I have been reading each other's blogs and sending each other encouraging email regarding the writing of books for several years - I was looking forward to it.  I was thrilled for her, and yet I wondered - could this book live up to the hype?

I bought it for Kindle yesterday, and I started to read.  "I remember being born."  Great first line, I thought.   I read the second line. "In fact, I remember a time before that."

Hooked.

And really, the only reason I put it down is that the inlaws are on their way here, and there was laundry to do, and also I had to sleep.  I finished it in the bath this morning, even though Kindles and baths should be mixed very, very carefully.

I was kind of braced for ...well, envy.  Rachel's been focussed and determined and passionate and gotten the job done, and gotten the book out there , and I - haven't.  (Yet.)

But I couldn't find any envy.  I was enjoying reading it too much.  This is a beautiful book, beautifully written, some gorgeous turns of phrase,  a plot that intrigues (and really impressed me!) and a really really likable heroine.  Some fascinating constructs - she thought up new things! Interesting things.  I'm not telling you what they are because, really, if you love words, and you love story, and you like a richly imagined world populated by a fantastic variety of characters ...you will love this book.  And you should go buy it, so Rachel can write another one, and another one, and another one after that.

2 comments:

ccap said...

Two comments for the price of one. 1. That IS a great first line and a great second line.
2. My favorite word of this post: yet. :-)

Anonymous said...

AND...besides all that, I hope Rachel will be able to write a similar blogging comment about YOU one of these near, near days!

Best wishes for you - C.C.