Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Oh wait, I have a blog

Yesterday B wanted me to do something for him, and I asked him to please do it himself, because what I was doing was hard.

He looked at what I was doing.  I was knitting a shawl, but I was knitting from a chart, and the stitch markers weren't cooperating and I was trying not to keep calm and carry on.  I've never knit from charts before.  I was deeply immersed in a learning curve.

He may have rolled his eyes.  "You and I have a different definition of what HARD is."

***
Speaking of knitting from a chart. 

I was test-knitting a pattern for someone.

I was very pleased with myself because I found a spot where she'd missed putting in a yarn over.

I knit through Chart A, and no planets collided, and the knitting even looked right.

A wee voice in the back of my head said "Is that looking a bit loose?"

I told the voice to shut up and moved on to Chart B. 

I emailed the writer of the pattern to tell her how smart I was, successfully acquiring a new skill and all that.

The voice in my head said "It's just that hers looked somehow smaller and neater."

I rolled my eyes, and picked up the pattern, planning to comb it carefully for clues as to why this might be.

SIGH.  I have indeed acquired a new skill, but I had apparently replaced an existing skill, ie, the skill that tells you to READ THE PATTERN to find out what size of needle you should be using.

I had cast on with needles that were not one, not two, but THREE sizes too big.

Loose, indeed.

2 comments:

J'lene said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't read patterns properly...I am now doing sleeves for a summer sweater that I had completed the back and front of in May only to rip it all out and start over because the fit wasn't going to work...

Kathy Mackel said...

You just put me to... zzz... zzsleep.... can you please blow something up instead. (Then again, maybe not the best option, eh?)