Monday, May 28, 2012

What passes for drama in a knitter's world.

Dramatic scene #1

I may have mentionned knitting dishcloths.  Around Christmastime most years I decide I must knit a few piles of dishcloths and give them to family from "the Italian Christmas donkey."  And then I forget to stop knitting dishcloths and end up with a pile to sell at our church's youth group's annual fundraiser.

For the last few years, I have had the perfect needle to knit dishcloths with - a short circular needle, size 4.5 mm.

That is, until a few months ago, when I inexplicably misplaced my dishcloth needle.  This house may look like it's being organized by caffeinated monkeys, but the knitting stuff?  I KNOW WHERE IT IS.  Always.

Yesterday I found a bag of oddly random knitting thingummies - leftover yarn bits, whole skeins of yarn - things that did not belong together, and all twined up amongst them I found my dishcloth needle. 

I was so happy I immediately knit a dishcloth, stuck in on my dog, and took a picture of it.



Dramatic Scene #2

Look, isn't this pretty?


It's actually not that great a picture of it.  It's a set of interchangeable circular needles - (for those who think I just slipped into speaking Vulcan - ha.  Vulcans don't knit.  They manipulate yarn with their minds.)  Also interchangeable circulars, or circs, come with several lengths of cord, and several sizes of needle tips that screw into those cords, so that if you have 3mm 16" and you need a 3 mm 24", you just change out the cord instead of buying a new needle.  OR if you get to the end of your shawl and realize you are going to run out of yarn, you can go down a needle size right there in your own house, instead of going out to the store.  This is especially lovely at 3 am, when your inner knitter (tm YarnHarlot) doesn't want to go to bed until you've cast the thing off.

(For knitters - these are Dreamz, they're short because they came with 16" cords, and they work with KnitPicks cords and keys.  And they are pretty.)

You'll notice there's a gap where a set of needle tips should be.  Don't stress - the needles in use.  However, at 11:30 last night, there were two gaps, and I spent really really really a lot of time trying to remember all sorts of knitting trivia, because I did not have a set in any other works in progress and I really really really really hate when a piece of a set goes missing.  (made me a VERY RELAXED mother to preschoolers, as you can well imagine)  And I went through a few drawers and some bags that might have been knitting bags at some point in my life and finally, in desperation, stuck my hand between the couch cushions, and yanked up a lovely purple knitpicks cord with some lovely Dreamz needle tips on it.

So that was my week.  Found a needle, lost a needle, found a needle.

Now I'm going to go knit something linen-y to drape artfully around my neck at a writers conference midJune, so I look like  - well, myself, only festooned in summer weight knitting instead of carrying my knitting around in a bag to stroke when I get nervous.  (There's nothing to be nervous about, I'm just really good at nervous, because I practice it a lot.)



No comments: