Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hey! Here's something to read!

My interest piqued by this blog post, I recently bought Anne Elisabeth Stengl's books for Kindle (at least, the two that are available so far).  In the interest of truthfulness, I had actually already read most of Heartless, and then the battery on my Kindle died, and I forgot about it, and then the Kindle software moved it to Archives ...and then somebody needed a ride to hockey or new jeans or the dog needed to pee ...

And then I started reading it again, and I loved it.  I do not love the title, because, even though it is appropriate, it smacks of romance.  This is romance only in that it is fairy tale ..

And let me say - this is a brilliant book on so many levels.  As pure story - it is engaging, and involved characters I cared deeply about.  Even though the princess (it's a fairy tale! there must be a princess!) makes some bad choices with unforeseen (to her, and partially to the reader) catastrophic consequences - I really wanted things to come right for her.

And there is a cranky blind cat and a magic wood and a scene that reminded me of Terry Pratchett's "It is said that the gods play games with the lives of men.  Thunder rolled.  He rolled a six."

Interwoven through this story of dragons and princesses and the Twelve Year Market (you know you want to go read it RIGHT NOW, if it's got a Twelve Year Market ...) is a compelling, beautifully done allegory.

I moved on to Veiled Rose.  The second book in the trilogy.   Second books often feel like a bridge between the intriguing beginning and the satisfying thrill ride end.  This second book does not.  Many more pieces of the puzzle are introduced or explained or hinted at, but the story line is equally compelling and engaging, and again, the allegory is exquisite.  In fact, the allegory is enhanced by the allegory in the first book.

I bought these for Kindle, and have now ordered the first three Goldstone Wood books in hard copy, so I can have them in the church library.  I'm not waiting till midApril to read Moonblood though ...it's available for Kindle April 1, and I know what I'll be reading at bedtime that night!

1 comment:

Colleen Taylor said...

Ooh, your church library is going to have the hard copies? Maybe I'll order hard copies under the guise of getting them for our church library ... but read them first, before they get catalogued. :?