Friday, June 03, 2011

Probably a writing post

So a long time ago, after I had started writing the Perpetual Novel, someone in a class I was taking said "Sure I have three chapters of a novel.  Everybody has three chapters of a novel sitting in a drawer somewhere."
I thought of my novel, and how impossible it was to figure out where these people were going and what they were doing.  "Not me," I thought.  "I am going to write it."

I had no idea how I would write it, but I was determined to finish it.

Probably a week later I was quite sure it was impossible again, but it never went away.  In February of 2007 I went to a writers workshop-week at a castle just outside Colorado Springs.  I went knowing I could never write a novel, I left five days later thinking "well a novel is likely impossible, but I can write a scene.  And then maybe another one ..."

The trip to Glen Eyrie has become a yearly pilgrimage. I think that when you decide, as a writer, that if you can't quit, you may as well get serious, you find the community you need to keep you going.

I have good writing friends here at home, and strong encouragers, and in addition to that, a large part of the community, for me, are the people I have met in Colorado.  One of the biggest reasons for that is "where two or three are gathered in My name, I am there".(Matt 18:20)  The Glen is owned by a Christian group - one of the things they do is start praying for you by name when you sign up for conferences there.

So God is there, waiting, for me to show up and leave every other obligation or duty behind, and concentrate on what I'm trying to do with the gift I've been given.  It's an earthshattering place for me, and I don't use that word lightly.

This year, I am going back, to beloved mentors, and beloved friends, (in fact, beloved mentors who have become beloved friends) to a place where it often feels as if the very ground were soaked in the prayers of God's people, and I am taking with me:

The finished first draft of my first novel.

Nobody is more surprised than I am, and I seriously doubt that anyone is more grateful.

6 comments:

rachel said...

Congratulations! As someone who has finished the same novel five or six times now (*sigh) I think I can say with some authority: getting to the end never gets old!

Ruthie said...

So cool! Congratulations! Enjoy your time at Glen Eyrie.

corrie said...

Oh my goodness! Hooray, have a great time!

Michele Henderson said...

Congratulations! That has to feel great!

Koala Bear Writer said...

Totally cool! :) I'm sure they'll all be so excited to celebrate with you. (Someday I hope to make it there myself.)

janetsketchley said...

Major cheering, Susan!!