Thursday, February 17, 2011

Who doesn't love hearing about someone else's health?

I'll put all the other trivia up here and then you can just stop reading for the ambulance ride stuff.

1. Slipper Update.  I picked up the slippers and fixed them with a stern glare today, and then announced to 258 Facebook friends that I was going to beat the slipper into submission today.  Then I had to lie down.  (see ER visit, below)  Dear Facebook friends - I lied to you all.

2. My kids are off school for a five day weekend.  This  morning A made baked oatmeal for breakfast and lo, it was delicious.

3. A chiropractor should have warm hands.

4. I have been home from work since Tuesday.  The dog is delighted by this, and every time I sit down, she jumps into my lap and licks my hand.  I think she likes me, or, at the very least, has decided that of all the packs available to join, mine is best because I feed her.

5.  How I Spent Tuesday.

I woke up with the same sore throat I had gone to bed with, took some Cold FX, went to work.  (I babysit)  Called the mom around 9:30 to say if there was a chance that this was one of those days where she could come home early, it might be a good idea, because I wasn't feeling well and I didn't want to make her kids sick.  By the time she got home, half an hour later, I realized that I was missing something, and that something was oxygen.
As a species, we tend to need oxygen.  I went home and used my "when you're having an attack" inhaler and my lungs shrugged and said "sorry but we are pouting."  So I tried that again an hour or so later and got the same reaction so I went to the Urgent Care place and began the long process of telling them that yes, I knew I wasn't wheezing and I knew my oxygen sats looked good but this is what an asthma attack looks like for me and I need a breathing treatment.  They were happy to hand me Ventilin and let me suck away at it, but in the meantime, because my most consistent asthma symptom is pain between the shoulder blades, they did a blood test to make sure I wasn't having a heart attack (I wasn't) and one called a DDIMER (sp?) to check for unusual clotting.  I laid around trying to breathe and sleep and a nurse came in around six and said "we're just going to hook you up to some oxygen."
"Why?"
She looked at the wall.  "Oh just in case."
Yeah right, I thought.  And spent the next twenty minutes, before the doctor came to tell me what was up, quite sure that I was having a heart attack and telling God I trusted Him with my life, but could it please NOT be a heart attack?  that is just SO cliched - fat woman has heart attack.  It would be so embarrassing.
When they were hooking up the "just in case" IV, the nurse told me I could go ahead and let my husband go home. 
I asked no questions, but raised my eyebrow at her.
Then the doctor came and said the DDIMER showed "elevation" which could be a lot of things but let's just make sure it's not a blood clot, okay? and there will be an ambulance here soon to take you to somewhere that can do a CAT scan.
And DUDES!  The CAT scan was COOL.  I was mildly disappointed not to end up on a sandswept planet when it was all done (ala StarGate) but all in all, it was an interesting experience.
And lo, there was no blood clot, and I was given antibiotics just in case the cold decided to become pneumonia and prednisone for the asthma and now I am lying around all languid and breathless, glaring at my knitting.

Also I would like you to know that it is VERY HARD to knit with one of those stupid oxygen sensors on  your finger.

Also I have learned from my last ambulance trip.  I had both my knitting AND my pants.  Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

WAIT I ALMOST FORGOT.  Trippiest Facebook message ever?  "Hello I babysat you when you were four."  And she did.  She remembers my mom and says I was an angel.  (I was.  Nauseatingly good, and proud of it, too.)  She asked if I still had blonde curls.  I had to say yes to the curls, but "only out of a bottle" to the blonde ...

2 comments:

Bren said...

Still chortling... and still so very blessed and glad that you are alive and more well than expected, sistah-friend!!!

Carolyn said...

And I thought my Tuesday was interesting...not! I'm so glad you'll be okay-ish! Praying~!