Thursday, December 30, 2010

More bits, fewer snits

1. I am wearing rather a lot of clothes.  For someone who lives in a country with four distinct seasons, I do rather a lot of avoiding weather.  It's either too hot or too cold or too full of air to be outside.  The stupid thing is - I love walking.    I just don't do it.

And then I got this GREAT idea that B and I should deliver flyers.  The flyer people don't care how much of a weather wimp you are.  So I put on two pairs of socks and two pairs of pants and three fleece shirts and a knitted cowl and a knitted hand and a winter jacket and some mittens - halfway through I took my jacket off, because it turns out it was only -16, not -2,000,007.

I wiped out most spectacularly at that one house with the ice.  They try hard to deal with the ice but something about the particular configuration of their sidewalk and Calgary's insane melty-freezey-melty psychotic approach to winter makes that one bit of their sidewalk super icy.  Today the ice was covered by fresh snow, and I went down like a sack of seriously annoyed potatoes.  I lay there thinking that I hated myself and my life and that I was useless and couldn't do anything right and the man next door asked me if I was alright and then I realized I actually ...was.  I canned the self-flagellation and just cried for awhile and now my upper arms are very very sore but my knees, thank you Lord, my knees and back are okay.  My pride?  hugely dented.  Probably needed a smacking.

2.  This is for the non-knitters.  If you are at a hockey tournament and one of the moms is knitting a dishcloth, don't even JOKE about "how much do you charge?" because the one thing a knitter prizes, above all, is an appreciative recipient.  Someone who doesn't even know you who likes your knitting so much they are willing to PAY you for it?  That is like CRACK, people.  And you don't know if those dishcloths are meant for someone else and if your begging to buy them might cause that knitter to stay up all night for the next few nights feverishly knitting dishcloths to give away at her family Christmas on January 2nd because she was AHEAD of the game and then you TRIED TO BUY THINGS FROM HER.  Which she now has to replace.

Stop it.

3.  I was so tempted to sell dishcloths yesterday.  Those same people will be there today, at B's game.  I am leaving the completed dishcloths at home and I am not taking anyone's address or phone number. 

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Glad to see you are improving, though slowly it sounds like. But improving is so much better than you were and I'll take what I can get!

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!