Sunday, October 10, 2010

I've named her Grace

The lady in the mud hut in a small Kenyan village with SI joint trouble?  Her name is Grace.  That way I can lie awake at 3 am and pray for Grace.  And for grace.

I was also thinking about my mother last night.  My mother whose entire stomach herniated into her chest cavity, who had major surgery when she was over 70 and already bedridden, who is unable to walk due to aging and cerebral palsy, who could not have so much as a sip of water for two months after her surgery, and couldn't eat anything without throwing up for several months after that, and who never complained, not even once, not one time did she say "why is God doing this to me?"  Who spends all her time in bed now, waking up when someone comes to visit, smiling that lovely acceptant smile of hers.

As I lay squinting into the dark and panting and wondering if there was any position at all I could attempt that would be comfortable and wishing it wasn't 5 more hours till the next painkiller ...I thought "Have I learned nothing from my mother?"  And right then I decided to stay in the position I was in, which was almost comfortable, and I settled down to talk to God until I fell asleep.

And this morning I am resolved to be more like my mother.

I am resolved to be more like Jacqueline Roberts.

Those of you who have known us long enough will know the great redemption there is in being able to say that and mean it.

6 comments:

Loretta Oakes said...

Susan:

Lovely thought. We all need to remember to ask for grace and hold those people up who exhibit such example!

Thank you for the reminder.

Loretta
PS. Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Wow. And amen.

Dar

Heather Plett said...

Wow. That's huge.

Sounds like pain has been your teacher.

Lynette said...

Unexpected tears...and goose bumps. Amazing grace and amen. Glory to the One.

Carolyn said...

And THAT, my friend--Sue--is why I Love you. . . oh--teachable, and stumbling--friend of mine. . .you give me hope that even I [too] can still learn, if willing. Prayers for you n' yours, and blessings and thanks be to Him.

Kay Day said...

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains..." C.S. Lewis

Whenever I'm in pain I ask God, "Please, don't let it be for nothing". Sounds like it's not for nothing for you, too.