Monday, July 19, 2010

Spoilers


Totally misleading title, and I'm not even sorry.
Thing I did not spoil even though I thought I had:

The Shawl. This is a story fraught with knitterly tension that non-knitters may feel free to skip. I'm knitting a shawl for a friend's wedding at the end of August, and what with having to figure out how to block it, and how to make those little pointy things and incorporate beads and the rows being 300 stitches long and getting longer by 4 st every other row, I'm a bit unsure of my ability to get this done on time.

Yesterday I was knitting at my mom's and I went to reel more yarn off the ball and it was stuck so what gave instead was the knitting on the needles and several rows of two or three stitches unraveled. This is lace. (looks like leaves. Is amazing) This is yarn-overs and stitches that weren't there last row and this is me, who considers it all magic and doesn't get where the yarn is going if it's anything more complicated than garter or stockinette stitch.

I loaded them all back on the needles. It looked wrong. I took them off again, and loaded them on again, and they still looked wrong. There were the right number of stitches, however, so I purled the back side row and then it was time to leave so I stuffed it in a bag and later that night I looked to see if I could find the error and there it was, shouting at me and sticking its tongue out. I took the stitches off, and put them back on again, and lost one in the process and sat there staring at the hours and hours of knitting I had done, wondering why I hadn't used a lifeline and generally wanting to move to Siberia.

And then the miracle happened. Without any conscious thought I loaded everything on the needles again reconstructing as I went and – it was right. The knitting fairies skipped off singing about me owing them one. I mentionned the gusset on the Christmas socks I gave away last month. They're thinking about that.

 Things I Do Spoil but totally not today

My small adorable dog considers her food beneath her. She'd live off begging for scraps if she could, and she almost could, in our house, because that's the way we roll. One of the three of us who care about the dog will decide one day that WE ARE NOT GIVING THAT DOG ANY MORE TREATS and the rest of us will agree and then I will be eating a carrot and really, veggies are good for everyone and ...

As a result she's not good about eating her food on a daily basis. I stir bits of supper leftover into her food and then she'll eat it. Sometimes I get stubborn and leave the room and she'll eat her food with a resigned sigh after three or four hours.

Today I buried the tiniest possible piece of turkey pepperoni beneath her food. To my great amusement she ate the entire bowl of food looking for it, and came and stood beside me and belched a gentle belch.

 Why It is Annoying to Watch a Movie with Brad and I After We Have Seen it and You Haven't, (this does have to do with spoilers)

We laugh way ahead of the funny parts. We watched Waking Ned Devine with the kids yesterday and the instant we saw the motorcycle the first time we burst out laughing.

 Things I Do Not Wish to Discuss, that have nothing to do with spoilers.

What novel?

2 comments:

ccap said...

And imagining the two of you giggling away about the motorcycle is not making ME smile.

Ruthie said...

So sorry about your lace mishap. You are a braver soul than I to try to fix the "oops" and get everything back on the needles in the right order and direction. (I also understand your question about lifelines...I ask it often!) When I end up in trouble like you did, I just rip the whole thing out and start over...with an easier pattern!