Monday, March 22, 2010

oh hang on

So I was at a writing thing this weekend, hanging out with some of my favourite people, trying once again to work out how and where to make a space for the Perpetual Novel in my life ...

sometimes I've come away thinking "there's no way I can remember all this new stuff I've just heard" but this weekend was a bit different. For one thing, I was leading a workshop for some of the time, for another, I was on the planning committee, so that always throws me off focus a little.

Saturday afternoon, in the afternoon, sitting with my Senior High Sunday School teacher (how freaky is that??? she looks YOUNGER than I do), listening and doodling and taking notes this sentence highlighted itself for me.

"...you sit down at a blank page and create something out of nothing ..."

and I was all "Wait no that's what I do when I knit" and then various parts of my brain went "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

So there's this internal drive to CREATE. I don't know that we all have it - I think we do. I think if you're alive, you have it. Some people cook. Some people clean, creating order out of chaos. (those people can have at 'er in my house any time they like, btw). There's any number of creative pursuits.

Some are easier than others. Knitting, for instance, even a pair of socks on needles the size of toothpicks, might JUST be easier than conjuring an entire novel out of thin air.

So there's this outside chance that I am satisfying that creative urge to such an extent that novel has become excruciatingly painful work?

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

3 comments:

Koala Bear Writer said...

Excellent point. Sometimes I think of all the creative things that I've done in the past, and the few that I'm still doing now... life changes (as Al said). At this point, though, I think writing a novel would be easier for me than knitting a sock! So have at the socks. :)

Kay Day said...

I'm not saying anything. But that's what I've been wondering. So, there, I said it.
Now I need to figure out my problem.

Robin said...

I don't think I've ever heard it referred to as creating something out of nothing, but that is interesting. (I would rather write than knit though) of course, with knitting at least I have finished something...more than I can say for the novel. Yikes.