Saturday, January 16, 2010

Domesticity

A, doing chores: "What did you do before you had children?"

Do you remember wondering that? Even asking your mother that? I do. I wondered who made the salad before I came along. (The answer was: "No-one. I hate making salad." And then she added "One day you will have your own children, and they can make the salads.")

I spent a few moments thinking about the chaos my house is and was and ever shall be. "Half as many dishes", I said.

***

A is so lovely. If I didn't love her so much, I'd be jealous. She is tall and willowy and graceful and oh so comfortable in her own skin.

And B - words fail me. He is earnest and funny and he has the most glorious thick curly hair ever to grace a ten year old head. He does nothing by halves - he's either loudly enthusiastic or loudly non-enthusiastic.

And TechnoBoy and I? We get to live in this house, with these people.

It's a lucky lucky life.

5 comments:

bhb said...

Yep, lucky us!!!

Kay Day said...

I love my children, but I wish I felt as enthusiastic about it all as you do. Maybe because my kids won't make salad?
Maybe because tears and longing and hopes fulfilled makes it all the more marvelous?
You have a beautiful family and a beautiful life.

Colleen Taylor said...

I just want to click on "like." But you can't do that with Blogger.

Koala Bear Writer said...

How old do they have to be to do dishes? :) Sunshine already puts away her own laundry...

Marguerite said...

What a lovely, well written blog.

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog prompting me to come here and read yours.