Sunday, October 04, 2009

Learning Curve

So if you drive around Calgary at all, you may see us - we're a small bunch, only six of us, but we all have the same thing in common.

We have a faraway look in our eyes, and we are mumbling and counting on our fingers. We may be stopped at stoplights, in the line at the grocery store, scribbling things on the backs of receipts. C may even be walking - be kind to him, he's very good with words. If we have managed to shower and dress that day, we may even look like we normally have all our faculties. Do not be afraid of us. Approach us if you like, but be aware that we may start to count the syllables in your greeting.

We're okay. We're just trying to compose poetry in iambic pentameter, and it's harder than Milton* makes it look**.


*"They ALso SERVE who ONly STAND and WAIT."
** I wonder if HE counted on his fingers.

4 comments:

Koala Bear Writer said...

Ah yes, I've often wondered that too... Tennyson makes that whole iambish pentameter and rhythm thing sound so easy. Maybe he didn't have to drum it out on his desk while he was composing... Rhythm is why I love rhyming poetry - and can't write it myself. :)

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

Don't stop posting such stories. I love to read articles like this. By the way add more pics :)