Saturday, September 12, 2009

The peace of dancing minds

"There is a certain kind of peace that is not merely the absence of war. It is larger than that. The peace I am thinking of is not at the mercy of history's rule, nor is it a passive surrender to the status quo. The peace I am thinking of is the dance of an open mind when it engages another equally open one - an activity that occurs most naturally, most often in the reading/writing world we live in. ...I know now more than I ever did (and I always on some level knew it) that I need that intimate, sustained surrender to the company of my own mind while it touches another's - which is reading. That I need to offer the fruits of my own imaginative intelligence to another without fear of anything more deadly than disdain - which is writing."

Toni Morrison
in her acceptance speech for the National Book Foundation Medal

3 comments:

Colleen Taylor said...

"I need to offer the fruits of my own imaginative intelligence to another without fear of anything more deadly than disdain."

Powerful.

Laurie Hynes said...

wow

Laurie Hynes said...

Wow