Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Silver lining

So it's handy to be married to a TechnoGeek when your laptop presents you with not the black screen of death, but the greenish-blue pinstriped screen of frustration. It will boot, occasionally, and just as you are clicking "backup all my e-mail now before this sucker changes its mind again", it will remember that it now favours bluish-green pin-stripes as What the WellDressed Laptop is Wearing and just as you are settling in to gaze at your lost data in sickish dread, your ComputerGeek spouse will snatch the laptop out of your hands, take out the hard drive, find the right cable (or go buy one, because isn't that just the way? you could have 800 cables. None of them will be the cable that you need, so you will go and buy one that you will never ever ever need again. Perhaps we could splice them together and string them across the back yard and hang our laundry out to dry on them.) where was I? hard drive, cable, computer genius backing up the hard drive from a no-longer-functionning laptop.

He's magic.

So my laptop is broken broken broken and as I have no other computer, this saddens me. Techno Hero is letting me use his until we can get mine fixed and the only drawback to this is his laptop was designed for a lap the size of Texas. Anybody who could comfortably use this behemoth on their lap needs to be buying two economy class seats in an airplane. As I currently have a pinched nerve somewhere in my back that makes sitting in a normal chair like a normal person excruciatingly painful - I am going through computer withdrawal.

I'm pretty sure this is good for me.

Tomorrow I am making jam.

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

OUCH...on both accounts...computer n' your back!
(What kind of Jam???)

Kay Day said...

I think I am going to become a cable artist. Surely something beautiful can be made from the horrible chaos.

Koala Bear Writer said...

Pink pinstriping is worse, I think. Maybe. :) As for cable... if you find a use for it, I think I have some to contribute.

Koala Bear Writer said...

And I understand the computer withdrawal too - half an hour a day at the library just isn't enough. Especially while trying to chase an 18-month baby around...

Kassi said...

My desktop is doing the "you want me to turn on? ... OK ... whoops, no I've changed my mind" deal ... so we have one laptop shared between four people at the moment ... damn school for teaching my children to type !!!!!!!