Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"Hope is a fine thing, perhaps the best of things."*

SO.

Once upon a time in a faraway land, my mother lived in a nursing home in a different province, and while the people who worked there were kind and loving people, their hands were tied by policies and a very high number of people requiring "heavy care". In meetings to discuss how my mother's needs would best be met, there were lots of "Yes but" and "That's against our policy" and my brother and I were far far away in a different province and lo, it was Not Good.

(It is VERY IMPORTANT to me that I point out that I do not think the other home she was in was negligent in any way. The demographics were different and so was the staff/resident ratio. They did the very best they could with the resources they had. This is in no way meant to be a criticism of where she was.)

Yesterday there was a care conference for my mother. There were seven people in the room besides me, and all I heard was "We'd like to try ..." and "I think she would like ..." and "What if we tried..." By the time I left, she had a lovely new wheelchair (the BMW of wheelchairs. It reclines! and is still small and lightweight and it is a thing of well-oiled beauty, as we discovered when we took it for a spin around the nursing home today. It is reportedly very comfortable, as well) and the staff had committed to making her get out of bed to sit in it for at least an hour a day. This wonder of chairs just happened to have been donated by another family just a few weeks ago.

And the doctor said "Other than the feeding tube, she is in remarkably good health." and they all talked about the (admittedly painfully slow) progress she's been making in recovering from surgery, etc, and every single one of the people who see her on a daily basis commented on what a lovely positive plucky woman she is.

I know she won't live forever, but "progress" is just such a much nicer word than "deterioration", isn't it?



*free gift** to the first person who correctly identifies the source of the quote. Try not to google it, won't you?

**seriously. I will totally mail you a real actual gift.

6 comments:

bhb said...

Nice post. I could save you the postage, if you like! :-)

Slow'n'Steady said...

Shawshank Redemption? I can't believe Stephen King could come up with that. I have to watch that movie again, now that you pointed it out. We should talk about the other guy's quote about hope makes a guy insane. :-)

Slow'n'Steady said...

BTW, I am SO happy for your mom.

and you.

hugs to you both.

Heather Plett said...

"Positive and plucky."

I can only imagine how musical those words must have sounded to your ears.

Anonymous said...

SO HAPPY for all concerned.
It would appear you have inherited some of that Positive and Pluck.
God Bless.

jbondsgirl said...

I want a gift but I really don't have any idea about the quote. Sad for me!

I'm very glad for your mom's progress, though! That is a wonderful thing after so long in the darkness.

xoxo
Flicka