Friday, May 29, 2009

Here's a question

(I almost titled this "Hey, here's a question" when I thought that possibly I had started a title with the word "Hey" once or twice in the past. Turns out I was right. I was going to link them but I couldn't figure it out in 6.3 seconds, so you'll just have to believe me.)

Was there a question? Oh wait yes there was. What's a word a person could use for the concept of "broadcasting" before there was technology? It's a mind-speaky thing - thinking so loud everyone can hear you.

Thank you.

5 comments:

rachel said...

You might be able to use "broadcast", actually, because the original meaning of the word, from back before there was radio, had to do with sowing seeds. So the use of the word is an analogy: the transmitter broadcasts radio waves like the farmer broadcasts seeds, flinging them out in every direction.

Of course, using the archaic meanings of words doesn't always work, since most of your readers aren't familiar with it either. But the only other word I can think of is "transmit", and that sounds even more technical, to my ear.

Bailey said...

'Proclaim' doesn't have precisely the same meaning... 'transfuse' isn't quite hitting it either.

QOTW said...

How about "scattered" or "gossiped"?

Koala Bear Writer said...

Telepathy? Anne McCaffey used phrased like "Lessa touched the awareness of the watchwehr" to express telepathy (she never uses the term in her books, but you know that's what she means). So maybe a phrase instead of a word...

corrie said...

What about "thought so loudly everyone could hear it"?

Sorry, maybe not that helpful but I found it kinda funny. Had myself a little laugh just now.
: )