Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hey, hi

I'm still here. People seem to still be checking, so I thought I'd wave. If you all had bloglines or some kind of Feed Checker thingy (TechnoBoy's heart is bursting with pride at my demonstration of computer-savvy right there) you wouldn't have to check, you could just get notified. Ask someone else how that works, though.

So today is True Confession Day. I've been Facebooking lately with people from all the various stages of my life, which is ...well, frankly, a bit mindblowing. High school dorm friends. Wow. It was a small dorm, there weren't a lot of us, and we were without parental influence. And we had the exuberance of youth in our corner. There are Memories, and there are curious gaps in my memory. Really? I want to ask. You can hear my laugh when I type? and then I wonder What did that sound like? Did I laugh the same way I laugh now? And some insecurities surface - well sure we got along then but I ...kinda grew up. A little in some ways and alot in others, and yes ohmyheavens I would LOVE to see you and YES we should all converge on L in her southern home with her gaggle of children but but but ...will you like me now? Will you like who I am now?

It's all very odd, but a marvelous distraction from the Hospital. (Am saying no more about the hospital because a) I've been sick so I haven't been able to go up there and b) there's no change in either direction and c) I struggle with allowing myself to not be everything for her. She's got God, I'm just icing on the cake. God can look after her whether I am parked at her bedside or not.

So the True Confession part - you all thought I'd forgetten, didn't you? (look how cute I am, pretending people read this.) Well here's the thing. I've been facebook chatting and being all flippant and goofy and throwing out one-liners but now they're going to come and read this blog and find out ...

I knit in church.

And if that doesn't make me sound enough like an old lady - I knit in church to keep myself from nodding off.

HOWEVER it's not because I'm old and boring, although that may be true. I am almost incapable of single tasking. (High school friends are shaking their heads in disbelief. All that shrieking was about lack of focus? Who knew?) It is remotely possible that I have some form of ADD. (Cue guffawing from all corners of the globe) Sitting still makes me doze off - sitting still and knitting does not. I knit socks in church, so it's a small project, and I knit on bamboo needles so that when I drop one (you will notice I said WHEN, not IF) it does not clatter to the floor making a loud metallic scene. I have yet to ask our pastor what is more distracting, watching me knit or watching me fall asleep, because I'm scared he'll say both and I'll be back to having TechnoPotCallingTheKettleBlack punching me in the arm when he wakes up and sees me asleep.

And in the interest of full disclosure - I recently went to coffee shop to meet with a group of strangers I met on the internet. (A's reaction: "Way to get stuffed in a trunk, Mom! If you are late, I am SO calling the cops!") I did this for the express purpose of ...

knitting in public.

And I plan to do it again.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'm going to go knit in the bathtub. Just as soon as I figure out how.

8 comments:

ccap said...

To answer the question "will you like me now?": What? Of course they will. Who DOESN'T like you?

Oh yeah and "I am almost incapable of single tasking.": Smirk. Really? Shocking.

Kassi said...

My kids can't believe I went to the other side of the world and slept on the couches of people I met on the internet.

Now I have kids ... I can't believe my parents LET me :P

jbondsgirl said...

Everyone I knew in real life was so skeptical about me driving to D.C. and meeting Internet Folks for lunch. Roughly half of them were sure I was never coming back.

I wish I had the gumption to knit in church. I feel like the Old Guard would disapprove. And I'm not sure I could really pay attention to the sermon while I did it. :-( But if you can and it keeps you from falling asleep? Go on with your bad self!

And...why haven't you friended me on Facebook yet?

xoxo
Flicka

Betty Jane said...

Thou didst clothe me with skin and flesh, and knit me together with bones and sinews.
Job 10:11

It's okay to knit. :)

bjH

Koala Bear Writer said...

I just wish I could knit, period. That would be cool.

Slow'n'Steady said...

Your description of TechnoPot and A's remarks sent me completely over the edge. Try to remember, not only are people reading this, some are doing it at crazy hours of the night.

I should know by now not to read your blog in the middle of the night. I nearly woke up huggy laughing out loud.

And Betty Jane sounds like she's looked for biblical justification for things before... knit away oh thou that sleepest.

Trish said...

I would like very much for you to come visit me and teach me to knit! :) I want to knit socks, I don't think I could do it in church, I write too much down, but to knit I think would be very relaxing and peaceful... Then, after you have come to Arizona, you can say you've traveled to another country to meet people you met on the internet, 10 years ago almost!

Lynette said...

Girl, if you've gotten old and boring, all the rest of us have certainly followed suit. I would choose knitting over sleeping in church. Outside of church...I'd go with sleep. That's a rare commodity in these parts.