Friday, February 27, 2009

And here I am again

Dizzying, trying to keep up with the sheer volume of new posts here these days, isn't it? (although I have heard rumours of high school friends who found me on facebook trying to read the whole thing from start to finish, and may I just say, I admire your fortitude? That's a whole lot of silly to wade through.)

Right then. Let's do a numbered list, just for fun.

1. Mom is still in the hospital with a stomach that refuses to do anything but chuck stuff back up the pipe it came down in. She's getting discouraged and I am trying to be Cheerful. It works better some weeks than others.

2. Never say this out loud : "My children just have not done much puking" because if that isn't inviting a smackdown, nothing is.

3. We've all recovered from the smackdown.

4. In the same vein as #2, don't even think "Wow, what an easy knitting pattern. I've totally got it memorized already" lest the next thought in your brain be "What is that purl stitch doing here where all the knit stitches should be?"

5. I had two socks for B each half-done. The non-linear nature of such an approach gave him hives. "Why don't you just FINISH one already?" he asked and I realized I either had to finish the first sock* or admit to my nine year old that I was afraid of doing the next part (gusset. ick spit) because it might be difficult. As this is an attitude we as parents are attempting to eradicate from our children, I sucked it up and knit the fragging gusset.

6. Thank heavens for teenagers who don't see the world the way I do. I was knitting a hat to match the cabled scarf in the pic in some previous post. (by the way, it's not orange, it's PAPRIKA, according to the people who dyed the yarn, and THEY SHOULD KNOW) A looked at the hat and while I forget her exact words, they were something along the lines of "There is no one on this planet that will fit." I started to tell her I was just going to finish it and try it on when I imagined her reaction, and the valid point she would make about whether or not that would make any sense. I threaded the thing onto a piece of scrap yarn and yanked it onto my head. As the blood began to leave my brain and the room began that spinning thing it does, I went to show A. "See?" I said. (remember - blood loss to the brain) She was not convinced. I went to look in the mirror.

Yeah. Frogged.** Looking for 8mm double pointed needles as we speak.

7. The neighbour's baby is home, and is tiny and beautiful and very very thoughtful. While there are many health hurdles yet to be faced, their little family is experiencing a time of peace, praise God.

8. Despite all my best hopes and dreams, supper has not yet learned to cook itself, so ...bye :)



*(even though the second sock was up to the heel flap and I love heel flaps. Every time I "turn a heel" (that's knitter talk) I gaze on it in wonder and feel like a small miracle has occurred)

**(expression meaning "ripped it out" ie rip it, rip it, or ribbit, ribbit ...you can all sleep well now)

4 comments:

Momstheword said...

I can't relate to knitting errors but I can relate to puking! I'm so sorry your mom has been having so much illness. May God bless her.

Karen said...

So glad to hear the puking plague has moved along! I was thinking I should learn to knit, you know, now that I have NOTHING to do, but I am beginning to understand and appreciate that may be a dangerous undertaking...I so hope that the doctors can figure out what is going on with your mom and that her puking plague will be helped along until it is completely gone.

Koala Bear Writer said...

Such wisdom to be found in your posts... that's why we all keep coming back. :)

Angela said...

You always make me smile . . . even when talking about puking. Still praying for your mom. Hospitals are no fun.

Hugs,

Angie