Tuesday, December 16, 2008

But wait! There's more.

"Just happened" to be at the hospital when the surgeon came to see Mom.

Everyone has a hole in their diaphragm that allows the esophagus to pass through. The stomach sits directly beneath that.

A hiatal hernia is when a tiny portion of the stomach slips up through the hiatus. Lots of people have them - my Dad did. He slept with his head elevated, and it rarely bothered him.

What people have not been telling us, presumably because that joy belongs to the surgeon, is that, in my Mom's case, when they said "large hernia" they meant her ENTIRE STOMACH is in her chest cavity, above the diaphragm, as is the first bit of small bowel that is attached to the stomach at the bottom end, and then, just for giggles, a few loops of her large bowel joined the party.

This is operable. However, I believe his exact words were "This is a big operation" and there is some concern that her heart would not make it through. Tomorrow she meets with more doctors, and the endless rounds of decision making discussions begin.

11 comments:

Kay Day said...

I'm still praying, Susan.
God is with us.

Krista said...

Wwwwhhhaaattt??? That's insane! We're praying hard over here for you and your mom.

Anonymous said...

Sue, my thoughts are with you and your mom. Martin

GM said...

Sue,
I'm glad they have diagnosed the problem. Will keep thinking of you and your family.

A few years ago I spent most of my Christmas holiday in the hospital with my mom. It certainly changes your perspective on what is important. Blessings to you! GM

LC said...

Jesus is with you, caring, interceding for both you and mom... so am I.

hugs

The Koala Bear Writer said...

Oh wow. Scary. Praying hard. I didn't know that could happen. May God give you good surgeons and guide you all through this.

jbondsgirl said...

Oh my word, Sue. That is a lot of news to take in. I am still praying for all of you. I wish there was something more concrete I could, like hug you or bring over a dish of something hot. Sending you all my love...

xoxo
Flicka

vjc said...

Oh, Susan, it must so difficult to be the "watcher" in a situation like this. I'll be praying for you and your mom and the medical team that will be advising you both. Just hang in there - one moment at a time, one stitch at a time, one prayer at a time.

joannamallory said...

Praying, Susan

joannamallory said...

Praying, Susan!

Trish said...

I'm prayng, hard!!!