Wednesday, July 23, 2008

In which I try not to rant

So life is about learning.

Here are a few things I learned in the last week.

1. There is such a thing as an INTERNATIONAL warranty. Do not assume that the camera you purchase in the US can be fixed in Canada if it happens to malfunction a mere 11 days after you bought it, unless the warranty card in the box says "International" warranty.

2. Very few camera manufacturers offer warranties that are valid in both the US and the Canada. Nikon most assuredly does not.

3. I bought my camera at an electronics store that shall remain nameless. However, may be in your BEST interests not to BUY anything there. No matter how BEST the claimed BUY is. I have never dealt with a more spectacularly unhelpful retailer.

It did not matter how many phone calls I made or how many different scenarios I thought up, they would not help me exchange the camera in time to have working camera before my vacation. Their overall attitude was "Sucks to be you." There was nowhere, apparently, in the entire United States of America that I could courier my broken camera to to have BB deal with the faulty product they had sold me. I was willing to drive the stupid thing back over the border to a BB there, but I wouldn't have made it before their 14 day return policy was up, and there was certainly no budging on that score.

So my camera is now on the way to Nikon in the US to a place that deals with US Warranty repair.

The kicker? If I had DROPPED it, I could have replaced it through my VISA purchase protection plan. Immediately.

SIGH.

3 comments:

ccap said...

I couldn't agree more.

Heather said...

So BB = Big Bummer?

Kay Day said...

so.. why didn't you drop it?

JK, JK. Really.