Friday, May 16, 2008

even though you're really here for the robins ...

...I'm going to talk about myself instead. Feel free to come back another day.

Did I mention I'm writing a novel? No, I mean, really, actually writing it. Actual words in my actual novel. It's ...wow. Fun. I can barely believe the difference between the novel I'm working on and the novel I thought I was going to write when I started this whole thing. This novel? Basically backstory run amok.

So here's the thing. Maybe I have ADD, in some mild, functionning-without-medication form. (Some people I know just look at me like I have 12 heads when I say this and then say "Ya think?" I find these people ...well, annoying) So whatever. I'm a much better multi-tasker than I am a single-tasker. Here's how I have been attempting to write this novel:

1. Find a distraction free place, nice and quiet and no distractions.

2. Sit down.

3. Write.


This has not been working for me. I check my e-mail. I play Ticket To Ride online. I write three words and delete them because they are not fresh imagery. I check my e-mail again. I write 12 words, keep 4 of them. I read Angela Hunt's blog. I google any writer I've ever heard of, and read their blogs, if they have them. I write 60 words and a goat insinuates itself into the plot. I google goat husbandry - I'd hate to sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. I finally give up and go to bed, telling myself I will write TOMORROW. With NO DISTRACTIONS.

A few days ago, I thought - wait. I'm a multi-tasker. Why don't I watch TV and write at the same time? Tried it. 500 words before I ran out of steam. Double checked my word count. Turned the TV up, and wrote a few hundred more words. B came home from school wanting to play XBox. I took my laptop down to the basement with him, wrote another 500 words with his head in my lap and the XBox blaring.

Wrote 500 words yesterday while cooking supper.

I have some time to myself tonight, at someone else's house. Nothing to pull me away from the computer. I wrote 2 words, checked my e-mail, thought - what's wrong with this picture?? Turned the music up, let their (big, friendly) dogs in, wrote 350 words. Quit only when I ran out of story. There's more there, I just don't know what happens next, so I'm letting Brynn sit sulking in the dirt while in another part of the Village, his mother is Striding Determinedly toward - I don't know what. I'm going to sleep on it.

Without guilt. Because -

This is who I am.

12 comments:

ccap said...

That is Too Funny. I would be the comPLETE opposite. Even a robin (did you like how I threw that in?) chirping outside my window would be a distraction to me.

Kay said...

That is so cool. I don't think I could do it this way, but then I haven't tried. I can barely read a book if other stuff is going on though.
Look! A shiny thing!

Was the laptop on top of the head that was on your lap?

Krista said...

Rock on, sister friend! Can I read your novel when you're done??

rachel said...

Good for you breaking through!

Megan DiMaria said...

LOL. I was with you until you commented about writing while cooking supper. How do you do that??

So, the times you stop by my blog are the times you're fooling around? Overcoming block? Goodness, that's exactly what I do too.

It's National Fiction Day in the US--read a novel!

A prisoner of hope,
Megan

Vacant Uterus said...

This is fascingating to me because the slightest noise throws me completely off. I make Sarge leave the room (we have separate computers) or I take the laptop somewhere (what? so we have 3 computers for 2 people?) or AT THE VERY LEAST he has to put on headphones so I can't hear the game he's playing. But I don't do my best work with the headphones.

Would it surprise you to hear that I sleep with ear plugs?

Kassi said...

Multi-taskers of the world unite !!! I can't sit and watch a TV programme without reading a book or beading a necklace or catching up on blogs ...

And I can't get into my day at work until I've turned on the radio in my office ...

Anonymous said...

,,,it takes some creative types time to wake up to what helps them sleep...without guilt. Go lady.

LC said...

Now it clicks... the euphamism for ADD is multi-tasker! I needed that. You split my sides and give me many wonderful reasons also to be who I am!

profoundly, ta!

Trish said...

Tee hee! You're awesome! I can't sit and concentrate on any one thing at a time either, but I don't know if that's how I've always been or just a recent happening!

The Koala Bear Writer said...

That's great. Keep going!!!

Courtney Walsh said...

Well, heck, does this sound familiar or what? I check my email even knowing that if I had something the little box would pop up to tell me but that's how badly I am looking for distraction.

What's up with that?? :) Good luck to you!