Thursday, April 24, 2008

Words

(posted with A's permission)

Reading the Old Testament can make a person want to duct tape their mouth shut, sometimes. You said the wrong thing, there were consequences. Even in the New Testament - you call your brother a fool, you're in danger. I've wondered, sometimes, when we lost that awareness, that something as insubstantial as the spoken word has immense power. For a long time, most of 47 years, I thought words don't have that kind of power any more.

Two summers ago, A told me "No-one can ever love you like the woman who gave birth to you." I don't remember what I responded, but it was something along the lines of my not being able to imagine loving her more if she had been born to me. But I knew that whatever I said wouldn't make any difference. She'll be 30 someday, I thought, and she'll get it.

Fast forward to last week. I told A what she had said.

"I said that??!??!" she asked. "But it totally depends on who's raising you, and how you're being raised!"

And I had an almost physical feeling of chains falling away, somewhere deep, where things matter to me the most.

It's made me stop and think about what other words are binding me, that I'm not aware of.

And I'm overwhelmed with gratitude that it didn't take her until she was 30 :)

4 comments:

darien said...

She is the child who reminds me that God keeps his promises. (Jack might be another).

What a gift she is to this world. And what a gift you guys are to her.

And how blessed am I to be able to lurk in on it all?

ccap said...

And I'm sitting here a bit teary-eyed at the moment.

Anonymous said...

I'm at work, trying not to cry.

Flicka

The Koala Bear Writer said...

Oh yes, the power of words... never believe that "sticks and stone may break your bones but words can never hurt you," because it ain't true.

How beautiful. :) You have a great daughter.