Thursday, April 03, 2008

It's the details that grind you down ...

A child asks:  “Why can’t I have a peeled apple?”  - well, you can, I say, I’m just not peeling it.  And what I don’t say is  - And why do you want to peel it?  The peel is healthy!  Should I make a rule about eating apple peels?  I don’t think I should.  I don’t think apple peel will kill you and it’s not like apple peel is a chore to chew, so I’d certainly prefer it if the apple peel was consumed with the apple, but I’m pretty sure that’s sweating the small stuff. 

 

And this is why mothering is exhausting – I did not spend one single solitary second, as a childless person, figuring out an Approach to apple peel.

 

 

4 comments:

Kassi said...

Orange peel is certainly not edible ... but I don't peel them either ;)

Kay said...

I have always preferred my apples peeled, too. I remember how rare it was to get them that way as a kid, so it was a real treat. Usually my dad would peel it with his pocket knife. That is pretty disgusting actually. I now know what else he does with that thing. Anything that needs done. Fish gutting, etc. Blech.

The Koala Bear Writer said...

Uh, I think I must be the oddball... my brothers and I would sit around while my grandmother peeled apples for apple pie, fighting over who got to eat the apple peels. And we'd peel pears for Mom to can every summer, just so we could eat all the peels (and once you've peeled a case of pears and eaten the peels, you don't need lunch...).

Robin said...

I like to keep the peel on an apple as I eat it to keep it from turning brown and because the peel is supposed to be good for you :)

Kay - aughhh pocket knife peeling... I guess what doesn't kill you does make you stronger :)