Saturday, March 01, 2008

Conversation

Someone who is getting dressed for school:  Mom?  I have no clean underwear.

 

Mother of person getting dressed for school, aka Me:  Are your dirty ones in the hamper?

 

X:  Yep.

 

Me:  Well you’ll have to wing it for today but if the hamper is full, Dad will wash clothes today (side note:  he works from home) and you’ll be set.

 

I get home, there is a mile high pile of clean laundry on the couch.  (Thanks TechnoBoy!!)  I fold all the clothes.  There is not one article of clothing belonging to the child in need of specific items of clothing.

 

Me: ??  I don’t see any of your underwear in this huge pile.  In fact, I didn’t fold anything of yours.

 

X:  But I put them in the hamper!  Dad must not be done.

 

Me:  The hamper in my room?

 

X:  Yes!  The brown one.  I always do.

 

There is searching of hampers and my walkin closet floor, which used to Hamper OverFlow but is now clear, thanks to The System.  X finally disappears into his/her bedroom.

 

X:  Heh.  Oops.

 

Me:  So I guess you’ll be doing a load of laundry?

 

This is the same child who has spent the last two weeks sporadically searching for something that was not cheap, and was definitely lost.  Finally yesterday, I revoked computer privileges until it was found, and suggested that perhaps they give me their plan for giving me several hundred dollars to replace it.

 

“But I have looked EVERYWHERE it could be!!”

 

So I asked them, as a favour to me, to please look everywhere they were quite sure it wasn’t.

 

Found in ten minutes.

6 comments:

Kay said...

something in me guesses that perhaps this child is male

Jen said...

I have to confess that I might have been that child every once in awhile...

Anonymous said...

"So I asked them, as a favour to me, to please look everywhere they were quite sure it wasn’t."

Brilliant!

~Flicka

Rachel said...

Well done! You are so not alone!

The Koala Bear Writer said...

I love how you find the humour in it. :)

Kassi said...

In our household we call that "having a boy's look" ... although bizarrely, the girl is better at having a boy's look than the boy is ...