Wednesday, February 06, 2008

For future reference

So if you're dumping windshield washer fluid into your vehicle and think "Huh. That's odd. It usually takes the whole jug."?

Pay attention to that thought.

I checked the label on the thing I was pouring the windshield wiper fluid into. It was labelled "coolant".

Should you do this, if your next thought is "Yikes. That might matter."?

Pay attention to that thought.

I called TechnoHasAClueWhatCoolantIsFor.

"Hello, I love you" I said.


"I love you too" he said.

"I hope you still love me 30 seconds from now." Deep breath. "Ijustpouredwindshieldwasherfluidintothecoolantreservoir."

There was a much longer pause than I was comfortable with.

"Is the van still running?" he asked, finally, with great care.

"No, I turned it off before I opened the hood."

Relief tsunami'd, cell to cell.

So the bottom line is, yes, it matters, no, don't do it, and *phew* dodged that bullet. Someone helped me find the part where the hose from the reservoir connected to the radiator and we disconnected that, and thankfully, in this weather, the risk of an overheated engine is relatively low.

5 comments:

ccap said...

Oh man, can I hear that pause.

Rob said...

oops.

Kay said...

Well. At least you tried.

BTW, Love that you finally added a pic. Now people can recognise you on the street and say howdy. ha ha ha

The Koala Bear Writer said...

Sorry, but I'm laughing. :) I've posted before about being not very mechanically inclined... my dad has tried to explain various things to me (how to change tires, how to check the oil), and I can usually do them - but I prefer to let someone else do it. :) Anyways, great story - it turned out all right!

Kassi said...

At least your radiator would have been nice and clean while it wasn't running :)