Friday, December 21, 2007

But it seemed like such a good idea ...

1. Buying a book of "Very Easy Sudoku". I couldn't find "Sudoku for the Lobotomized" but apparently, that would have been more my level.

2. Telling my husband I'd get up and drive our friend to the airport at 6 a.m. (although shocking my coworkers by showing up 2 1/2 hours earlier than usual was a lot of fun.)

That's it, the whole post, unless I can just change the topic. Which I just did.

I called home at 10 to 8 to make sure the kids were up and had no last minute needs I could solve over the phone, and B monotoned and yawned into the phone and was generally his perky morning self. In the background, I could hear* the Christmas lights my Dad loved so much playing a Christmas carol and A chirping along - well, sort of. The lights were playing a song and A was singing a different one. I think the only reason the musical train wasn't on is she hadn't thought of that yet.

I love Christmas.

This year I have a surprise for my Mom that I was going to tell you all about but maybe my brother reads this blog, or maybe he never has, but would come here JUST TODAY because sometimes life is like that, and find out what I'm giving Mom and want one too, or realize he's getting one too, so - it's going to be a Hallmark moment. Bring tissue. I'll tell you about it some other time.

Also I've been playing Spyro on the kids GameBoy. (In order to have something in common with the children. It's not like *I* like games.) I found a walkthrough online, written presumably while someone was playing the game and writing down what happens when. A random excerpt might read like this:

Okay flame that ice crystal and you've freed the fairy. Go left from here, and jump up onto the platform where you'll find the key for the treasure chest. Flame the Rhynoc there before ...

You get the drift.

Here's my walkthrough. I wrote it just the same way I presume the other one was written, but it seems a bit different:

Turn the GameBoy on and watch all the pretty screens.

Hit Start.

Eeek! A Rhynoc! Push the A button. Again. Oh wait that's jump. Push the B but -

Hit Start.

B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B. *Phew* Okay go left but be careful not to jump in the wa -

Hit Start.

Hey the Rhynoc doesn't come back. Okay I've avoided the water - now I have to ...oh that's a cliff.

Hit Start.




It's very time consuming but there are fairies waiting to be freed!


* yes, hear. My Dad had a geeky appreciation for gadgets. Inexpensive gadgets. I keep the lights because my Dad would have been deeply gratified by how much my kids love the "music" they produce. Also they lit up when I plugged them in, which is somethng not all Christmas lights do.

4 comments:

BHB said...

I like your walkthrough better! :-)

jennabillion said...

Your walk through was much more realistic!

Kay said...

Ha ha! I could whup you at video games any day! Ok, well, probably not. I've never even played Spyro, so you're already way ahead.

The Koala Bear Writer said...

Loved your walkthrough - sounds like me. :) (Try playing a video game with two people, when you think that the little blue character you are watching is you and wonder why it won't do what you want it to do, only to discover - once you've lost - that it was really your opponent and you were the little RED character...)