Tuesday, November 27, 2007

In which I throw caution to the winds

For years, I have been buying hamburger in bulk and repackaging it in 1 lb packages to freeze. A while ago I upped that to 1.5 lbs because there are more people eating food in this house than there were twenty-five years ago. I have a lovely kitchen scale and the Packaging of the Hamburger was a job I hated, but when I had a recipe that called for a pound of hamburger, I knew exactly where I could one.

Over the last year or so, I've been realizing that measurements in recipes are kind of ...okay this looks like it's a cup of flour. Let's write it down as a cup. ie - brace yourself - the world will not end if you don't use exactly what the recipe calls for.

Today I repackaged hamburger in 2.3 minutes by saying "Hey that looks like it's around 6 packages."

And sure enough, it was.

7 comments:

Michele said...

you radical!

you are living on the edge, my dear.

Kay said...

you wild woman, you.

Kassi said...

My scales measure to within .01 of a gram ...

And they live in the back of my cupboard ;)

Heather said...

Have you stopped ironing pattern pieces too? ;-)

Krista said...

More power to you, friend! Free yourself from the tyranny of the scale!

...or should I say, free your beef from the tyranny of the scale. I know my ground beef hates to see how much it actually weighs. It gets all self-conscious and starts asking me things like, 'Does this cling-wrap make my grounds look fat?' And then I always say the wrong thing and the next thing you know, it's not speaking to me for a week. *Sigh* beef is so dramatic.

Linda said...

And to think that it only took 25 years to figure it out! Just think what the next 25 has in store! ;)

Megan DiMaria said...

I always thought you were an adventurous woman, Susan. Now this proves it.

A prisoner of hope,
Megan