Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Is that the time?

9:45 p.m. I was very tired. A was doing homework and wanted company. I sifted through the pile of books clamouring to be read and pulled out The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield.

A worked on homework, I read. A finished her homework, I read. I moved from the couch to the floor to the couch to the floor and never once took in a detail of this household. At some point I must have gone to the bathroom, because my jeans are in there, on the floor, kicked into a corner.

I read all 406 pages. Sequentially, even. I read the acknowledgements and the Reader's Club Guide and "A Conversation with Diane Setterfield" in the back of the book and if I didn't have to go to work tomorrow, I would sit down and read it all again.

Maybe just a few pages as I'm drifting off to sleep ...

2 comments:

ccap said...

Yeah, I know. Your dog called me. She needed to pee. Don't worry, I took care of it.

Kay said...

Hey, I am reading that right now, too.
I'm not doing it in one sitting, though I could. I'm the only adult around this week, so I have to kinda engage now and then.
What use of words, though! Wow.