Saturday, May 12, 2007

Did I mention I'm writing a book?

Here's what it's like.

The first draft is kind if like extracting a tapeworm - tedious and difficult and the results kind of disgust you.

Doesn't that make you want to go write one yourself?

The interesting thing is, when I write poetry, and I'm finished the first draft, I think "Wow. That is the best thing I have ever written. Every word is golden. What a shining example of my brilliance." And then I go read it five days later and it has degenerated into something Badly Needing Work.

When I'm writing prose, however, I look at what I've done that day and think "Wow, that is so bad. I think I'll go read something well written and depress myself." And then I go read it five days later and it has magically improved.

7 comments:

Kay said...

I vascilate. Some days I write wonderful stuff. Other days terrible stuff. But to anyone else it all looks about the same. Mediocre probably.
It all needs vast improvement, I guess. *sigh*

darien said...

um.....I am trying to decide if I am curious about that tapeworm knowledge or not!

Valerie Dykstra said...

"shining example of my brilliance" -- that is too quotable.

Slow'n'Steady said...

you make me laugh. i really like that about you.

Kassi said...

Compost always takes time to mature to its full potential. Without being given the proper time, it's just rotten fruit ...

Flicka said...

That's exactly how I feel about my writing!! I never knew it was normal!

Feeling much better now. *whew*

Angela said...

Hi, Susan:

This message is in code. :-) I talked to the party about the address you need, and I can send it to you, but I don't seem to have your email address on my laptop. So drop me a note, and I'll return it.

P.S. LOVE the tapeworm analogy. Nancy does, too.

Angie