Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sunday Seven

(yes I did just make that up)


1. Walking the dog last night, we saw a young deer bounding down the path ahead of us, white flag flying. It then plunged into the bushes and watched us. Toopka whimpered because she wanted to go catch it, but I stood there and watched it and thought:

I live in a city, where I can go outside and see deer every day of my life if I want to.

Every day of my life.

May I never forget to be thankful.

2. A few days ago the children were bickering in the van, as children do. I interrupted them with a light and cheery song "If you can't say something nice - shhh! say nothing!" This distracted them into singing the song themselves, although they changed the words somewhat. "If you can't say something nice - SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE!"

At least they stopped bickering.

3. Yesterday I was lying on the couch watching the dog at the top of the stairs, terrorizing the guinea pig. I tried to get her to come away.

"Toopka!" I called. No response.

"Puppy, puppy, puppy!!!" I sang. She looked up, and quite possibly rolled her eyes.

"Let's go smell stuff!!" I experimented, and she came rocketing down the stairs like she'd been shot out of a cannon. She was so excited I wasn't sure she'd remember how to walk. It was so cute, I had to take her for the walk that phrase promised.

4. I like Fresca.

5. I am teaching Sunday School this morning. I'm never thrilled to be going in there, but I'm always happy afterwards, because I do love little kids. Even one's who won't answer you with anything but "I told you my name is DORA this week!!!"

6. I got a prize in a poetry contest this week. It cost me $75 to enter and I won $50 - net loss $25. I am getting three other poems published this fall in a magazine I don't currently subscribe to - now I'll subscribe in order to get a few copies. Net loss - approx. $15.

Poetry - Your Key to Financial Freedom.

7. Twelve years ago, I was taking fertility drugs and filling out adoption applications and there wasn't a day I didn't cry over something.

This morning I have okayed the wearing of a Flames shirt to church (it's the playoffs!) and agreed to braid hair.

May I never forget to be thankful.

3 comments:

bhb said...

Nice!

ccap said...

#6 made me laugh out loud. Way to keep it in perspective!

Slow'n'Steady said...

#6 the pragmatic pat on the back... well done... congratulations on the win and the publish

so, I guess I shouldn't quit my day job to pursue writing?