Friday, April 13, 2007

eye of the ...what?

so when Pingster (yes I know you've never heard of Pingster unless you're his mother, but you don't need to know. It's not germane to the plot, I just had to call him something) anyway, when he was learning to crawl, he would grasp the bushy tail of their placid cat Blackie (I always said he should be named Brutus because he was so big and such a marshmallow inside, but nobody agreed with me) ..where was I? he would grasp the tail of the ever-placid Blackie in his chubby little fist and crawl around the house. (at least I think this was Pingster. It occurs to me now that I may have confused two stories but just pretend, okay? someone's kid did it. Actually two people's children interacted with the cat in less than gentle ways and neither cat retaliated. One was vocally opposed, one was ...Blackie. However, Blackie may have been the cat that the baby would take large bites out of and then splutter fur for the next half an hour) Blackie would look around in mild perturbation, and once in a while, heave a sigh and wander off. Mostly he put up with it. Wait this is a total waste of time, because it doesn't work. I just needed a dragged cat. Oh crap.

(Yes, this is the way I write fiction, too. Want to know how many pages I've cranked out this year? (no you don't) )

Starting over.

A friend (hi, friend-who-said-this) recently said to me "I don't know if I have the 'eye of the tiger' instinct it takes, when it comes to writing." (this is a rough paraphrase)

"Ah" I said, profoundly, and since then, my brain has been going "Hmm. Hmm hmm hmm. Hmmmmmmmmm." And also ...

Do I have the "eye of the tiger" when it comes to writing? Am I determined and focussed and passionate? Umm.

I think I have the eye of mewling kitten whose tail is grasped in the fist of a crawling baby - mostly panicking, sometimes okay with it. Pretty sure there's no escaping it.

Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

rachel said...

My experience has been that it's less "Eye of the Tiger" and more "And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful wife!"

Er... were we talking about 80s songs?

Michele said...

i certainly hope you don't have the "eye of the tiger," as it was a terrible worn out 80s phrase from the moment it was born.

not to say i didn't dance to it, a lot, as well as to the thin red line.

some things are good even when they're bad.

and i'm sure this makes no sense but i'm doing the word verification and if it goes through the first time it's a sign that i should send anyway. if it doesn't you'll never read this.

Kassi said...

Cute that you're writing about black cats on Friday the 13th ;)

The whole point is that cats, no matter whether they are small and mewling or big and strutting, are doing what THEY want to do ... and no one can ever make them into anything they don't want to be, no matter how hard they try.

Well, that's my opinion ...