Monday, March 12, 2007

The first step is admitting you have a problem

So why have I not written ONE SINGLE WORD on my novel since I got home from Glen Eyrie?

When B was very little I realized that his learning dynamic is: Prove to me I can do it, and then I will try.

Today at work I realized - that's what I want. I want someone to prove to me I can write a novel, and then I'll try.

TechnoDad and I have spent many hours standing over a tantrumming B saying "I understand, but you have to try it." Forced him into soccer and hockey - even soccer a few years in a row, because he might have forgotten how in the meantime.

So I'm thinkin' God is doing exactly the same thing with me right at the moment.


Sometimes I exhaust myself.

3 comments:

Michele said...

i feel exactly the same way. i'm still in the proving but not accomplishing much phase. i hope i grow out of it.

ccap said...

Interesting image: God standing over you telling you you can do it.

I'd have to agree with Him.

Kay said...

I struggle with this, too. I don't want to pour my heart and life into something and then have it be mediocre at best.
I don't know if I can do it. In fact, I know I Can't! This is so huge, so beyond me.
God is going to have to do this - I can't.
And you know what else, there is only one being in the universe who wants us to fail before we even start.
Stick it to him, Susan, we'll stick it to him together!