Saturday, March 24, 2007

Book Review*

*this is not to be confused with a real book review, like my friend Violet writes. This is just me, yapping about a book.

My Life As A Doormat by Rene Gutteridge

Rene who? Rene who knows how to write, that's who. Seriously, Christians who turn up their noses at Christian fiction, stop it. Start reading it, because it's not all historical fiction** and happily married young women wearing calico any more. I promise.

My Life As A Doormat made me laugh out loud. And even tear up a little, and I'm old and cranky and hardly tear up at books any more. It was marvelously paced - just when I wanted to smack the protagonist for being a WIMP, she did something brave (for her). The relationships are real and flawed and believable and also, Leah's mother made me want to call her on the phone and point a few things out to her. If you are reading this, and you are Leah's mother, STOP DOING THAT. It's not nice and it's doing more harm than good.


**If you love historical fiction, read that too. There's some of that too, well-written and readable. It just doesn't float my own personal boat.***

***I typed "bloat" instead of "boat" the first time around ...didn't somebody write a book called The Bloat Who Wouldn't Float?****

****Dear Mr Mowat: I jest. I loved that book. I probably still do. In fact, I think I should own it.

4 comments:

Kay said...

I think Christians who turn up their noses at historical fiction should stop it.
Cuz that's what I'm trying to write here.
but whatever floats your bloat.
I love that. gonna keep it!

violet said...

Ha! Your review is way funnier - love it!

Have you read either of the books by Sharon Hinck ('The Secret Life of Becky Miller' and 'Renovating Becky Miller')? They're clever, with some more characters who should 'stop it' - for one reason or another.

Megan DiMaria said...

Yes, repeat after me: Read Christian fiction and tell all your friends to read Christian fiction.

Thanks for joining in the chorus, Susan.

Kay said...

I just read this book. I saw it at the library and picked it up. It wasn't until about half way through that I thought, "hey, didn't Susan say something about this book?"
Yes, it is very good. I read through it quickly which is what I wanted after the "Best Seller" I just finished that drug right along.