Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Anecdote

(from She Who Posts in Fits*)

So I'm taking a poetry class because I want someone to force me to write poetry, because nothing summons the creative muse like a gun held to your head. For this week's offering, I needed to find a fresh image for sense of unfinished waste you get when someone you love dies. I asked my family to think up some things that wouldn't get finished if a person died. I got blank stares from the Y chromosomes, and the other X carrier got very thoughtful. Half an hour later, she said:

"Well I thought of something but I don't want it to sound stupid."

I coaxed and she finally whispered:

"well it's like a window that shatters before the last piece of glass can be fitted in."

1 comment:

darien said...

no doubt she's your daughter! That was lovely